Airplanes of the Past Home Page Story of the B-17G Flying Fortress "Short Bier" S/N 44-83663, with photographs

Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady"

This B-17G-85-VE, S/N 44-8846, "The Pink Lady," was manufactured at the Lockheed-Vega assembly plant in Burbank, California, in December, 1944. On March 1, 1945, 44-8846 was flown to RAF Polebrook, England, and assigned to the 511th Bomb Squadron, 351st Bomb Group.

Since 44-8846 entered active service very close to the end of World War II, it only flew six missions over Germany, the last one being on April 20, 1945, when the 351st ended combat operations. She was then transferred to the 365th Bomb Squadron, 305th Bomb Group, based at RAF Chelveston, England, when the rest of the 351st returned to the United States.

It was in airworthy status and participated in air shows around Europe until 2010. The aircraft also appeared in the movie "Memphis Belle".

Her last flight was from Melun Villaroche (LFPM) to Cerny-La Ferté Alais (LFFQ) (the airfield of Amicale Jean-Baptiste Salis) in March of 2010. Beginning in 2011, the B-17 is on display inside a new hangar at the Salis Flying Museum.

The nose art on the B-17 includes "The Pink Lady" and "Mother Country".

More Information about The Pink Lady

Nose art on the B-17G Flying Fortress ... The Pink Lady

Other Surviving B-17 Flying Fortresses

A total of 40 surviving B-17 airframes are located in the United States. Nine (9) B-17s are still airworthy today.

An additional eighteen (18) B-17s are on static display around the United States, and thirteen (13) aircraft are undergoing restoration or are in storage.

Seven (7) more B-17s are located in the UK, France and Brazil.

View a list of all surviving B-17 Flying Fortress with models, serial numbers, aircraft name, restoration status and location by state.

 


B-17 Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" Photos

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" - S/N 44-8846 - on display at the Auxerre Branches Aerodrome, France, in September of 2008 (Photo by, and courtesy of, DELEHELLE Eric)

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" - S/N 44-8846 - on display at the Auxerre Branches Aerodrome, France, in September of 2008

B-17G Flying Fortress S/N 44-8846 with its "The Pink Lady" and "Mother Country" nose art at Auxerre Branches in 2008 (Photo by DELEHELLE Eric)

B-17G Flying Fortress S/N 44-8846 with its "The Pink Lady" and "Mother Country" nose art at Auxerre Branches in 2008

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" preparing for take-off in 2008 (Photo by DELEHELLE Eric)

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" preparing for take-off in 2008

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" take-off in September 2008 (Photo by DELEHELLE Eric)

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" take-off in September 2008

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" leaving from the Auxerre Branches Aerodrome, France, September, 2008 (Photo by DELEHELLE Eric)

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" leaving from the Auxerre Branches Aerodrome, France, September, 2008

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" in outside storage at the Amicale Jean-Baptiste Salis airfield, France, July, 2010 (Photo by DELEHELLE Eric)

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" in outside storage at La Ferté Alais, France, July, 2010

Close-up view of the B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" in outside storage at La Ferté Alais, France, July, 2010 (Photo by DELEHELLE Eric)

Close-up view of the B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" in outside storage at La Ferté Alais, France, July, 2010

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" on display indoors at the Salis Flying Museum, La Ferté Alais, France

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" on display at the Salis Flying Museum, La Ferté Alais, Franc

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" nose art display at La Ferté Alais, France
Forteresse toujours volante Association

B-17G Flying Fortress "The Pink Lady" nose art display at La Ferté Alais, France ... Forteresse toujours volante Association

Interactive Map of the Salis Flying Museum Area