Tucson International Airport (TUS)
Tucson International Airport is a public and military use airport owned by the City of Tucson 8 mi south of the central business district of Tucson, in Pima County, Arizona.
In 1919 Tucson opened the first municipally owned airport in the United States. In 1948 the Tucson Airport Authority was created as a non-profit corporation to operate the airport. The airport then moved to its current location in South Tucson and operated on the west ramp out of three hangars vacated by World War II military manufacturing companies.
Shown below are several images of TUS through the years.
Tucson International Airport
Tucson International Airport
Other Tucson Area Airports and Air Bases:
Pinal Airpark (MZJ) in Marana, Arizona
The Pinal Airpark is located in Marana, Arizona, just northwest of Tucson. It acts as a "boneyard" for civilian commercial aircraft as well as a site for airliner storage and reconfiguration. Old aircraft are stored there with the hope that the dry desert climate will prevent any form of corrosion in case the aircraft is pressed into service in the future.
Among the current tenants at the airpark is the Evergreen Aircraft Maintenance Facility. Now known as Marana Aerospace Solutions, the company offers more than 600 acres of secured ramp and storage area for all sizes of aircraft.
Marana Regional Airport (AVQ)
Another airport in the area is Marana Regional Airport (AVQ), purchased by the Town in 1999 from Pima County. It is classified as a general aviation reliever airport for Tucson International.
It is located approximately 15 nautical miles northwest of Tucson and is 5 miles west of Interstate 10 on Avra Valley Road. The airport is home to more than 310 based aircraft and had more than 110,000 takeoffs and landings in 2010. The airport's main runway is 6,900 feet and the crosswind runway is 3,900 feet.
Davis-Monthan Air Force Base
With the area's low humidity and hard, alkaline soil, which allows the aircraft to be naturally preserved for cannibalization or possible reuse, Davis-Monthan AFB became a major storage facility for thousands of surplus airplanes after World War II.
The base is today the location of the Air Force Materiel Command's 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group (AMARG), the sole aircraft boneyard for all excess military and government aircraft.
Today, the host unit at Davis–Monthan remains the 355th Fighter Wing (355 FW) assigned to the Twelfth Air Force, which is headquartered at the base as part of Air Combat Command (ACC). The 355th flies the A-10 Thunderbolt II and associated support aircraft such as the EC-130 Hercules.
The staffing at the base includes 6,000 Airmen and 1,700 civilian personnel.
The base, which uses FAA Identifier DMA, is located 2,704 feet above sea level and features runway 12/30 at 13,643 foot in length and 200 feet in width.
Entrance gate to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base,
Home of the 36th Air Division, as seen in this historic postcard