B-17 Flying Fortress Survivors: Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby
B-17G Flying Fortress "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" S/N 42-32076
This B-17G Flying Fortress is on static display inside the World War II hangar at the Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio, near Wright-Patterson AFB.
A B-17G-35-BO, serial number 42-32076, manufactured by Boeing, it was named by her crew for a song of the same name made popular by The Andrews Sisters, the favorite song of its crew chief T/Sgt. Hank Cordes.
It flew 24 combat missions in WWII, receiving flak damage seven times. Its first mission ) was on March 24, 1944, and last mission (Posen, Poland) on May 29, 1944, when engine problems forced a landing in neutral Sweden where the airplane and crew were interned.
In 1968 Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby was found abandoned in France, and the French government presented the airplane to the U.S. Air Force. In July 1978 the 512th Military Airlift Wing moved it to Dover Air Force Base, Del., for restoration by the volunteers of the 512th Antique Restoration Group. After a massive 10-year job of restoration to flying condition, the aircraft was flown to the museum in October 1988.
Other Surviving B-17 Flying Fortresses
A total of 39 surviving B-17 airframes are located in the United States. Twelve B-17 are still airworthy today, two F models, and 10 B-17G models. An additional 18 B-17s are on static display around the United States, and 9 aircraft are undergoing restoration or are in storage.
B-17 Flying Fortress "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" Photos by the Author
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" on display at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" at the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton, Ohio
Nose view of the B-17G Flying Fortress "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby"